The Housing Bureau for Seniors Ann Arbor recognizes that stable housing is imperative to physical and mental well-being. HBS informs and empowers older adults and those who care about them with guidance and resources regarding sustainable housing.
What We Do
- Provide seniors, caregivers, and family members support and access to the resources they need to find and maintain permanent, sustainable housing.
- Help to prevent homelessness among older adult renters through our elderly eviction prevention program.
- Provide one-on-one assistance to hundreds of individuals annually, and reach countless others through community events, educational programs and other outreach efforts.
- Offer decision-making tools and resources to assess options around housing programs.
- Assist older adult homeowners to maintain home ownership and navigate barriers around mortgages and property taxes through our foreclosure prevention program.
Housing is Healthcare: We Have Answers to Your Questions
The adage goes that only 10% of an iceberg is visible above the surface of the water. Applying the concept of an iceberg to housing, literal homelessness would be what is visible amongst the waves. The Housing Bureau for Seniors works below the surface to prevent literal homelessness. These issues can look different for everyone:
Hidden Homelessness: when someone has only temporary, unstable housing.
- “Couch-surfing” or “doubling up”
- There is a lack of supports in place to keep this person housed
Unstable Housing: when someone is facing issues that directly threaten their housing
- Behind on rent or mortgage payments
- Moving frequently
Unaffordable Housing: someone’s debt-to-income ratio is unsustainable
- Income doesn’t cover their expenses
- Not paying other necessary bills or going without medication or food to maintain housing
The Housing Bureau for Seniors is located at the KMS Building on South State Street in Ann Arbor. Our office hours are Monday – Friday, 8:30 a.m. – 5:00 p.m. Please feel free to make an appointment during those hours. You may also call 734-998-9339 or email us at email@example.com(link sends e-mail).