Ypsilanti Senior Center– Creating great experiences for older adults in a welcoming environment that encourages learning, active engagement, fitness and healthy living
The Ypsilanti Senior Center is the virtual home away from home for area seniors, providing a community of peers for connection, education, and active living. The mission of the Center is to create great experiences for older adults in a welcoming environment that encourages learning, active engagement, fitness, and healthy living.
Activities and Membership
Join the Center by going on the website and completing information card.
A wide range of activities are offered to seniors during the week via Zoom and other platforms. Check out all the opportunities to get involved!
- Fitness classes – including yoga, line dancing, and general exercise – are designed especially for those 55 years of age and older and are offered 5 days a week through a partnership with Washtenaw Community College. .
- Occupational therapy is offered in partnership with Eastern Michigan University. This program helps seniors refine their goals and work toward them in a supportive group environment with additional one-on-one sessions.
- Osteopathic Medicine for Healthier Living (OMHL) is an 8-month online intergenerational program designed to introduce a group of older adults and adolescents to topics in healthy living and the application of osteopathic treatments and concepts for better health. Osteopathic medicine treats common health problems such as back pain or sleep deprivation.
- Art and Craft Classes are offered by Center staff and volunteers every week.
- “Can You See Me Now?” is an innovative program offered in partnership with Madonna University and its school of nursing and social work to help seniors navigate telemedicine appointments. Electronic tablets (e.g., iPads) have been purchased by the Center, and seniors can loan them for this program and/or to connect with their doctor
- Tea Time is offered weekly by the Center to connect seniors by Zoom for a social hour of fun!
- Spanish classes will be launching this winter.
- Collaborative intergenerational storytelling is capturing current events and connecting multiple generations in an open and supportive environment.
In addition, the Center offers seniors the opportunity to pick up a week’s worth of tasty and nutritious lunches through the lunch program!
For more information on any of the above, see our website, https://ypsiseniorcenter.org